Published weekly by the Media Council of Kenya

Search
Viewpoint
To the Editor
Pen Cop
Off The Beat
Misinformation
Mediascape
Media Review
Media Monitoring
Literary Vignettes
Letter to the Editor
Guest Column
Fact Checking
Fact Check
Editorial
Editor's Pick
EAC Media Review
Council Brief
Book Review
Edit Template

Sossion has not quit ODM for UDA in Bomet Senate race

By Lucy Mwangi and Jacob Nyongesa

1. A Facebook post with a two-page statement claiming that the BBI secretariat had vowed to appeal the Court of Appeal decision to the Supreme Court is fake. The fake statement is said to have come from Suna East MP Junet Mohamed, who claimed the secretariat was unhappy with the decision of the Court of Appeal. ODM leader Raila Odinga had said that if the Court of Appeal upheld the ruling against BBI, they would not appeal to the Supreme Court. Junet dismissed the claims on Twitter, urging Kenyans to disregard the statement.

2. A Twitter post purporting to show Kapseret MP Oscar Sudi organizing a group of boda boda riders to protest the withdrawal of Deputy President William Ruto’s security officers is a fake. The photos circulated online were of curious Eldoret residents who went to see if it was true that no one was guarding DP Ruto’s home anymore. According to a footage by Ebru TV, Sudi was in Nairobi when the GSU guards were withdrawn. The station interviewed him as he entered the DP’s official residence in Karen.

3. A tweet claiming that former Knut secretary general Wilson Sossion has abandoned the Orange Democratic Movement is fake. On Thursday, August 26, rumours circulated on social media that Sossion had abandoned ODM to join the United Democratic Alliance .The ODM nominated MP announced his intention to run for the Bomet senatorial seat in 2022, but did not specify which political party he will use. In a tweet, Sossion called the social media rumours linking him to UDA “lies”.

4. A video that made rounds on social media indicating that CNN anchor Larry Madowo was threatened on live television was doctored. The caption of the video that went viral on social media reads, “Kenya govt. official chides CNN journalist, Larry Madowo, during a live.” The video of Larry interviewing an unknown man was taken from a CNN broadcast, with the headline reading, “Larry Madowo threatened on live TV.” We checked the CNN website, and there is no such news in their archive. A look at Madowo’s twitter timeline, however, reveals that the viral video had been altered. The original video, discovered by The Observer, was for August 25 when the journalist interviewed Ugandan Foreign Minister Gen. Jeje Odongo after Uganda agreed to take in 2,000 Afghan refugees fleeing the Taliban takeover.

 

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Share this post

Sign up for the Media Observer

Weekly Newsletter

By signing up, you agree to our Privacy Policy

Scroll to Top